Welcome!

I devised this "Cranes of Thanks" project because I love origami, working with children, and the "heroes" that defend our country!  I am teaching youth to fold paper origami cranes which will be placed on a coloring page with a letter on the back to be sent to our soldiers overseas.  This project will continue until we have completed 1,000 Cranes of Thanks!  All of the supplies have generously been funded by DoSomething.org.

Click HERE for some examples of children's coloring pages.
Click HERE for examples of what teens could make.

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Coloring Page Suggestions


Want to draw a picture but you aren't sure what to draw?  Here are some suggestions.  I'll gray suggestions out if they are filled.

1. Draw an American flag with a crane outline in the bottom right hand corner (where the stripes are.)

2. A picture of the earth with a crane in the center.

3. The words “Thank You Hero” (not soldier since these will also be sent to marines and coast guards and such) on a banner along with a crane.

4. Something Japanese themed with cherry blossoms, maple leaves, ladies fans, koi fish, bamboo, or ocean waves.  This would be especially good if it appealed to high-schoolers or older students.

5. You could make just a “background” for the crane with cool swirls or something abstract that would be fun for older kids to color.

6. ANIME!  I think older kids would enjoy coloring this type of thing.

I’m up for any design you might want to do!  I just ask you make the crane look like it is actually part of the picture and not just randomly glued on the page.  That being said, if there is any way you can make dinosaurs, horses, butterflies, or tractors mesh together with a crane image then GO FOR IT!

I don’t want to say not to write “peace” on the coloring pages but I also don’t want the pages to be making a political statement or have them seem anti-war.  These are meant to cheer our heroes up – not make them feel guilty or anything.  True, the origami crane is a symbol of peace, but it is also a symbol of honor and loyalty which is exactly what being a hero is about.  Please contact me if you have any questions regarding what would be appropriate to create!

3 comments:

  1. Hi!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I really like your ideas, especially the one with swirly things. :) I'll mess around with some pencils sometime soon and e-mail the results to you...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That would be really awesome Kara! =]

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, I really need to do this now. :D

    ReplyDelete